The name George H. and Laura E. Brown recognizes the N.C. Supreme Court Justice and his wife whose estate donated funds for construction and operation of a public library in Washington. The original library was housed in the Brown home at 122 Van Norden Street from 1944, when it merged with an already existing city library collection formerly on Main Street. In 1952 construction of a 7,000 square foot building was dedicated in 1954.
Brown Library operated for many years as an independent public library. In 1989 the library became a department of the City of Washington. Three years later the city directed a building renovation and expansion to more than 12,000 square feet. In Jan. 1994, these building improvements were dedicated. The expanded library is a modern facility designed to meet the library and information needs of the community in the electronic age, an era marked by rapidly proliferating information.
Maritime Expeditions in Beaufort County
Beaufort County - Tobacco
Early Washington Business
For More Information Contact
122 Van Norden
Washington, NC 27889