First Christian Church

First Christian Church

Click on image to enlarge

First Christian, organized 1891 at 123 E. 4th St. Present church built 1926. (Picture by Vann Studio)

The First Christian Church of Washington was established on October 24, 1891. In 1883 a visiting missionary of the Disciples reported that the Disciples group had no church but that a move was under way to organize. James Latham Winfield who was the editor of The Watchtower, a Disciples publication, was urging the group of forty Disciples toward the establishment of a church. Over the next few years, this group of Disciples held a Bible School in the home of W. J. Crumpler at 123 East Fourth Street. During that time the group purchased a lot at the corner of East Second and Telfair streets. On May 1, 1892, the new church was dedicated. In 1892, a bell was installed and when the present church was built this bell was given to the Hunter's Bridge Church. By 1913 a need for a new church was apparent, so the congregation purchased the lot on the corner of Academy and Second streets. Ground breaking ceremonies were held in 1921 and the church was finally completed and dedicated in 1921. An educational building was dedicated in 1963.

Format: book
This article is taken from the book, Washington and the Pamlico, edited by Ursula Loy and Pauline Worthy.