One of Leading Churches of City

One of Leading Churches of City

Click on image to enlarge

First Christian Church, Washington, NC

Over 100 years ago the First Christian Church of the Original Washington organized with 40 members. It did not organize precisely as Disciples of Christ or affiliate then with the Christian Church. The first meetings of the original 40 were held in the home of Walter J. Crumpler at 125 East Fourth Street, according to B. F. Leggett, who wrote in the Gospel Light that meetings were held in the home as a "Bible School." Actually it was on 1891, that the First Christian Church with 60 members was recognized as a true congregation by the N.C. Missionary Convention. The Reverend Dennis Wrighter Davis was called as the first pastor, and he led the congregation in building the first edifice across the street from the present structure. It was dedicated on May 1, 1892. Membership grew rapidly, and in 1916 a lot was purchased across the street for a new building. In the spring of 1921, groundbreaking exercises were held with T. W. Phillips, the oldest charter member, turning the first shovelful. On December 5, 1926 the new structure was completed and dedicated. The old building across the street was sold to a black congregation and moved to West Fifth Street, where it stands today.

Format: WDN