Methodist Church Oldest In City of Washington

Methodist Church oldest In City of Washington

Click on image to enlarge

Methodist Church Is Oldest In City of Washington (PDF)

The First Methodist Church has the distinction of being the oldest church in Washington, North Carolina. A large stained glass window, "The Good Shepard", on the north side of the edifice is in memoriam to Ralph Potts, Sarah Redding and The Reverend James Avent, founders of the church. In 1798, Ralph Potts purchased a lot on the east side of Market Street about half way between Second and Third streets and built the first Methodist church in Washington. The Methodist church grew to such proportions that a new church was built in 1831 on West Second Street where the present church now stands. This site was donated by Mrs. Sarah Katherine Quinn. After this building was burned during the Civil War, the massive brick First Methodist Church of today came into being in 1899.

Format: WDN , 2 pages